I have a confession to make…
I have decided to conduct a very serious scientific experiment! And while at it improve my knowledge of this complex and admired piece of music :-)
So, after careful consideration, I have decided to attend all Don Carlo performances at the ROH. Yes, all 6 of them… plus the general rehearsal.
And I’ve made sure I sit all over the place to get the best combination of sound and vision for my experiment :-)
Now, before you shake you head in disbelief... it’s not exactly an unusual idea in my case ;-) I’ve seen the Don Giovanni last season 3 times and several other productions twice and years back there is a whole list of productions I have seen 20, 30 times or more.. with different casts of course!
With certain shows it really is worth it to see more than one if you can, so you can slowly and gradually explore every nook and cranny of the music and the production. Or to just see/hear the bits you like most again and again and again ;-)
But don’t worry, I’m not just going to overdose on Verdi this September. I’ll see the Linda di Chamounix, I was even lucky enough to catch a Tristan and Isolde ticket! And I’ve got things planned at the Wigmore Hall and the Barbican. If you will, I’m having a bit of a musical celebration of my first year in the big city :-)
It might sound like too much indulgence, but I worked myself knackered over the summer and have decided to have a bit of vacation in the city instead of a summer holiday on he beach. Just stay home and enjoy the treats on offer ;-)))
So, as far as I’m concerned… let the experiment begin!
Saturday, 5 September 2009
The ROH Don Carlo experiment
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ha ha ha!
ReplyDeleteMy desire is to attend 5 plus rehearsal for Tamerlano. You might be saner than me!
Exposure means addiction...!
ReplyDeleteI've just got a ticket for the 23rd performance...
See you there...
Yes Mei, it is addiction... some people find two many of the same get boring, for me sometimes it just get's more interesting... and i'm sure you won't regret having the 23rd as well :-)
ReplyDeleteSee you soon.. excitment building!!
Gert.. what can i say ;-) To each his/her own :-)))) I just hope you like Handel ;-))) But now seriously, if you think about it what is actually mad about wanting to get as much as you can of something that is very likely to be unique, of very good quality and most likely one in a lifetime experiece?? Each show, each night will be different and there is just nothing that i could think of to make me regret seeing any of these performances lives. I never have regrets abouts the ones i manage to see, just about the ones i don't...
If you can, why not enjoy it? It is not like either of us will be sitting front row in the orchestra stalls anyway ;-)))) If it makes us happy, so be it! :-)))
Besides, what i forgot to say was that i actually almost only know this Verdi piece from recordings, i only ever saw it live once, last year at the ROH, i have every reason, musically speaking, to want to learn more about it :-)
ReplyDelete